With summer right around the corner, we anticipate a rise in temperature and humidity. Yep… humidity—a curse word! Here are a few tips for all the natural Queens out there that will help you fight humidity while retaining moisture, keeping your natural crown looking (and feeling) its best.
1. If you workout regularly–or just sweat a lot, preservation of your hairstyle may become an issue. Try rocking an up do or keep your hair braided.
2. Don’t spend so much time with twist outs and roller sets. The humidity will turn your beautiful twist out into an unintentional FRO. Try wash-n-go’s if this works for your hair texture. Otherwise try simple styles like ponytails and buns where the focus is not on curl definition.
3. Be sure to keep up with your hair maintenance routine– this will be especially important during the most humid months-months when your hair will be at its driest and need to be moisturized more regularly.
4. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! Staying hydrated is not only important to maintain your health, it is also essential in maintaining beautiful moisturized locks.
5. Cut back on heat styling. We all know that too much heat and natural hair is a no-no. But don’t allow the humidity and frizz to tempt you in applying excessive heat to your during the summer months. Try hats instead — beanies, sun hats, caps — not only do they protect your hair from the elements, they make CUTE accessories!
6. If you are a swimmer, every two weeks use a sulfate-free clarifying shampoo to remove any chlorine buildup, then follow with a deep-conditioning treatment and nourishing creams. In the interim, co-wash and keep hair in good condition. Avoid styling products that dry the hair (contain drying alcohols). Use a swim cap, but know that the chlorinated water still reaches your strands.
Summer is quickly approaching and it is essential that you learn what works and what doesn’t work for your hair. Be sure to keep your hair moisturized and ensure that your hair gets plenty of protein to keep it looking strong, healthy and maintain its shine. Most importantly, don’t forget to have fun and enjoy the warm weather!