There’s just something about a hot-oil treatment that is so soothing. I remember there was a time when hot-oil treatments were an absolute must for me! I actually looked forward to them and trust me when I tell you, these treatments did wonders for my hair; leaving it manageable and full of luster. For some reason, I can’t even remember the last time I had a hot oil-treatment. In the process of thinking about my next hair-style, I realized I had given up something vital to hair growth and strength. With that being said, tonight I’ll be revisiting the hot oil-treatment life and making sure to stay consistent.
Check out the list of oils you can use for hot oil treatments and their benefits. You’ll find that some oils may work for you better than others or you may even have to mix some oils to find the perfect fit:
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is one of my favorites oils, hands down! Not only does it promote growth, it also softens and conditions hair.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is a little on the heavy side and not one of my favorites, but it may work for you! It contains vitamin A, Vitamin E, and moisturizes.
- Avocado oil: Avocado oil is great especially if your hair is dry, since it is super moisturizing.
- Jojoba oil: My second favorite is jojoba oil. Jojoba oil in a way, reminds me of coconut oil. It doesn’t weigh down your hair, yet it leaves it soft and manageable
- Almond oil: I have never tried almond oil, however, I will be trying it soon. It nourishes hair while conditioning and promoting growth.
How to warm the oil: Avoid using the microwave (for anything honestly, especially your food). Instead bring a pot of water to boil, place the oil of your choice in a safe bowl or glass container, then place the container in the pot of hot water for about two minutes.
What to do:
- Make sure to test the oil on your wrist prior to applying it to your scalp.
- Apply the oil to your scalp when safe and massage.
- Cover head with shower cap, plastic cap, or plastic bag.
- Allow oil to sit in your hair for thirty minutes or even overnight.
Your hair will thank you!