Using science to analyze your hair Myavana provides you with a customized report regarding the health of your strands, suggestions for improvement, products that have a high likelihood of being effective, step by step style tutorials and 1-on-1 virtual consultations with a professional where you can ask questions.
I recently took the plunge and got my hair analysis with Myavana, no DNA test was done, lol. The service reminds me of Ancestry.com’s DNA Testing where you can learn all about your ethnic background (something I have always wanted to do). Only this is concerning strictly the makeup of your hair!
Here’s how the process works:
- You are sent a kit to collect samples from five parts of your hair.
- After you have collected your samples mail them off to Myavana labs.
- Speak with a stylist and ask all the questions you want during your session time.
- Once your analysis is complete you gain access to a dashboard with a comprehensive report that you can access at any time. It will tell you about your hair porosity, elasticity and the condition of your hair.
- Get style tutorials that are geared towards your tastes, educational info and products that are likely to give you good results.
- Consult with a professional hair stylist for an explanation of your results and you can ask any other questions you may have.
My experience with Myavana
The assessment revealed super specific details about my strands. My test revealed that:
- The bottom left part of my hair is has less elasticity than the right (this side of my hair does tend to grow slower than the other side, which makes sense now.)
- The crown section of my hair is more coarse than other parts of my hair
- I have an issue with product buildup
- The diameter of strands is thinner of what the average is for African American women which is 72 micrometers. My hair averages in the 60’s.
- It even provided me an image of what my hair strands look like under a scope!
During the consultation I was able to get more in-depth info about my results and ask my stylist questions. During this session it was explained to me that a change in porosity was observed. I have low porosity hair but the ends of my hair where I had some damage were found to be high porosity. It was also explained to me how to effectively get moisture into my hair without being so heavy handed with products. Eden’s Bodyworks Tea Tree Shampoo was recommended to clarify and to allow the moisture to penetrate a hair steamer was recommended by my personal stylist.
This service is just what the natural community needs!
Everyone has different variants that makes their hair unique. Which is why a product or method that works for one natural may be a complete disaster for another. Having guidance tailored to your individual hair issues takes the headache out of learning how to give your hair the best care.
If you have found yourself at your wits end and have even considered going back to the creamy crack I recommend giving Myavana a try.
You have two options. Get a one time hair analysis. Or subscribe to Myavana for only $25 monthly to receive hair products and guidance throughout your natural journey.